Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 86

Thread: The Liberal - Conservative difference explained

  1. #11
    Inactive Member imported_ut1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,654
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Liberal - Conservative difference explained

    [ QUOTE ]
    Dammit--I'll go ahead and out myself. I just did via PM to ut1 anyway...

    I'm bored.

    It's Friday night.

    I felt like causing a stir... [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

    I probably shouldn't have done it but I was bored. No excuse, but I don't think any harm done. I actually thought parts of it were pretty funny like I said above.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    No problem, sonny. Us old farts know how to take you young whippersnappers anyway. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

  2. #12
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Liberal - Conservative difference explained

    Well, I guess I haven't earned enough money to get rid of my liberal ideas [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

    No, my liberal ideas tend to be that I think that people have a right (as long as it doesn't infringe on others rights) to make their choices. If you choose to have 50 guns, and are a responsible person, then go for it. If you choose to have an abortion, then go for it. Religious freedom was one of the biggest reasons our forefathers came in search of this land. We're slowing turning into a country that thinks its only ok to think something if you think like I do. If thats getting rid of my liberal ideas, I hope I never do.

    I don't have to agree with what people do, but I seldom think that their rights should be infinged on, unless it harms others.

    I think a gay couple should have the right to live their lifes, that being said, I don't think everything needs to change to make them all happy. Having freedom doesn't mean you have unlimited rights. You have the right to freedom of speech, that doesn't mean you have the right to scream fire in a theater. They have the right to be a couple, that doesn't give them the right to be treated as the norm, getting the same benefits.

    Again, this is why I can't say I fully support/endorse one side or the other. Like you said, you have a problem with the current administration, but make it sound like the next one that comes down the pike will get your backing. Thats where my issue is. Hey fine you supported the Conservative this time, and your mad, prove your mad by voting Liberal the next time, instead of by God I'm mad, I sure hope the next one is better.

    Not trying to single you out ut1, you're a Vol fan, so that scores points, just the nature of the beast I can't stand. I mean its fine that you're views, mostly, tend to go with the Conservative side, but basically saying shame shame, shaking your finger at them and saying dont do that again isn't going to make them realize anything. We all know that the hot topic issues are not going to be 'fixed'. We've had as much 'conservative' control the last several years as you about could get, and did the great evil Abortion get dealt with? Did all this crime go down? Did all the excess and wasteful spending just suddenly get taken care of? Did all them new taxes that the evil liberals want stop or not happen? Nope.

    We're almost all conditioned. I thought it was funny reading how Jim Webb had been such a longtime member of the NRA, and there was all these reports, from the Conservative side that suddenly damned him and talked about how he was going to do away with guns. A few years earlier, it would have been how he was a card-carrying member and was the best option to protect them.

    Its the conditioning that I cant deal with. Like I've said before, when I take the political affiliation tests, I come down very nearly as dead middle. I tend to think live and let live, but I don't think you have to bend over backwards to help everybody or give everybody special treatment.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member imported_ut1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,654
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Liberal - Conservative difference explained

    I guess our main differences are not as much of a political nature as of a moral nature. I think abortion is murder. I think the gay lifestyle is chosen, not inherited, and is an affront to God. Could be the difference in our upbringing to a certain point, but then again once you "become a man", you must decide for yourself what banner you will wave. I had a liberal nature while in college, probably because I was surrounded with liberal thought and propaganda. Once I made my peace with God, it was clear where my stance and allegiance would be. I don't pay much attention to polls, political opinions concerning a particular candidate, or even those who endorse him/her. I base my vote on who I think will be the best person for the job. Right now, it doesn't look very good on either side of the fence. That's partly the reason that I think if George Washington or Patrick Henry could come back to life today, they'd say "Boys, I think it's time for another revolution!" [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

  4. #14
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: The Liberal - Conservative difference explained

    The liberals don't screw with you as much. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

  5. #15
    Inactive Member imported_ut1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,654
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Liberal - Conservative difference explained

    Yeah, but they screw you more.... [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

  6. #16
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Liberal - Conservative difference explained

    Well ut1, I guess here is the difference. I think abortion is wrong, but I think that people have the right to affect themselves. If I have a say in it, then I am against it, but I don't think that its something that affects me directly. Call me crazy, but if a girl goes and has an abortion, I don't think that is affecting you and your ability to live, nor me. We can both think its wrong. I fully agree with you that a gay lifestyle is chosen and a sin, but guess what, judging is a sin as well. Dare say old chap, that I've been right with God for a long time myself, but the ability to think something is a sin is absolutely fine, but not everybody in a land that has freedoms practices the same religion, has the same beliefs as I do. While I may disagree with a persons choices, I also respect their right to have choices.

    You're probably right thought about another revolution. Its funny that they created a Constitution, but you seem to be so strongly supporting your own views, opinions, beliefs, that you're depriving others of their Constitutional rights.

    I understand your view on abortion and I would be in favor of limiting abortions (my own personal view) and if that became a law of the land, then that would be ok. The problem is, at least I think, that instead of trying to make a law that allows abortions under certain health or mental reasons (rape, incest, etc), those who campaign against them, don't want to allow for good reasons. So we get an all or nothing approach. I'm totally against the idea of abortion as birth control, but until some stop trying to have a nothing approach, then I think we get stuck as we are.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  7. #17
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: The Liberal - Conservative difference explained

    Like taxing your health insurance? My tax will go up 280 bucks a year if Bush gets his way. Some just don't know a screwing when they get it. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]Bush is against abortion (me too) but doesn't want to do anything to break the cycle. No birth control for the parents, (none of the prezs have the nerve for this) not enough money for the schools to teach the kids to get a job, not enough tax on imports to cover crap they STICK Americans with, like it or not. Imports should be taxed at the same level we are, to cover social programs, or cut'em out. How many disabled, young social security drawing, folks hit the woods , ballgames and lakes every year?

  8. #18
    Inactive Member imported_ut1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,654
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Liberal - Conservative difference explained

    I didn't see in my post that I was being judgmental of anyone. Anyone who is a student of the Bible should know and embrace the account of the woman caught in adultery being brought before Jesus. "The one without sin among you should be the first to throw a stone at her." (NIV)The Holy Spirit we receive as Christians enables us to identfy and shun the sin "that so easily besets us". You cannot legislate morality, true, but there has to be a "the buck stops here" approach. Our laws are based on what? The Ten Commandments, among other historical documents are the basis for all our laws. What we disagree on then is whether or not someone has the right to commit murder, which is what I hold abortion to be. If you admit that abortion is wrong, then someone must be held accountable for it.
    God gave me the intelligence to judge right from wrong, but he didn't give me the right of judgment - that is His alone. There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade, as we are encouraged to call out our brothers or sisters if the are "taken in a fault", for the purpose of restitution and forgiveness. If I'm labeled judgmental for pointing out that the sin our country allows to go on unchecked, then so be it. We, as nations of the past, will be judged for our leniency in dealing with gross sin, just because we think its a person's "right" to transgress.
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

  9. #19
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: The Liberal - Conservative difference explained

    What does the bible say about the "New World Order" your boy loves so well? And random killing? 35,000 Iraqis low estimate - to 100,000 high estimate. You think they were ALL trying to sneak across the Mexican border? And I missed a zero on the healthcare tax Bush wants, it would be 2800 bucks for a decent plan per year. Do you still love him now?

  10. #20
    Inactive Member imported_ut1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    1,654
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Liberal - Conservative difference explained

    Where anywhere do I have a post even remotely connected to what you posted? I am a conservative, therefore I vote conservative. I am not at all pleased with the President's handling of Iraq, anymore than I was pleased with Clinton's foul-ups as Prez, yet they were still my presidents. I don't like Bush's policy concerning our border with Mexico, but there's not a lot I can do about it, now is there? If you want to complain about the healthcare issue, blame that on the foul-ups of the Clinton administration. Ask anyone that was "in-the-know" in the heathcare profession at that time, and they'll fill your ears full. Bush just inherited those problems. It doesn't help that we have a Congress (dems and reps alike) who will vote for illegals to have better healthcare than taxpaying American citizens.
    Random killing? In war people die. If the invasion of Iraq had taken place in the 50s or 60s, there would have been millions killed instead of thousands. If Patton had been around to take care of it, there may not be any Iraqis alive today. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
    "Yes, there are two paths you can go by
    But in the long run
    There's still time to change the road you're on."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •